Thursday, February 26, 2009

Low Carb Diet - day # 1

It has finally happened, my worst nightmare - no carbs!!!!

Here's why I am subjecting myself to life without my favorite thing in the world: Girlies with PCOS have insulin resistance which can cause the unpleasant symptoms of PCOS - like annovulation and cysts. After discovering that I had a cyst yesterday that is postponing my IVF cycle for at least a week (hopefully not a full cycle), I went to my acupuncture appointment. The doctor told me that I should up my Metformin dose (aghh!), and even scarier eat a low carb diet!!!!!!!!

Now I did know that this might be a possibility, but since I have never had a problem with blood sugar I thought I could eat my delicious carbs. But I will do ANYTHING to have a baby, so if it means giving them up then it is a small price to pay. But know this - when I do get pregnant I am celebrating with a donut!! Or apple pie!! Or... ok stop dreaming about carbs...

So last night on my farewell to carbs I ate a bowl of cereal for dinner (hey the day was ruined, so I figured why the hell not!)

If anyone has any tips on low carb living please let me know because this is all new to me!!! I ordered a book to help me get started. I better lose like 5 or 10 pounds because of this!!!

8 comments:

Ro @ Ro is me! said...

Good for you! I heard that the South Beach Diet was pretty good about cutting out carbs.

When you get your BFP, you can make it a Carb-tastic night! :)

Anonymous said...

good luck with your low carb diet! it does make sense, but i know i could never do it. of course, i'm a vegetarian so there wouldn't be much left for me to eat... :) i hope you get to get back with your cycle in the next week!

Amanda said...

I never really spent much time trying to do the low carb thing since I'm a vegetarian and those seem to be polar opposites, but recently I have really tried to reduce excess carbs and work in more protein and make sure what I do is is either low glycemic index or unprocessed.

So far it's worked well... some how I lost 10lbs this month... seriously not sure how I did that (really 10lbs, I can't believe it myself and I didn't even exercise), but this is my first time really dieting since I started metformin, so I think that made a big difference.

I think if you follow these 3 rules you'll do fine:
1. everything in moderation
2. if a diet sounds extreme, it's probably not a good idea in the long run
3. always use good sense

Good luck!

Shannon said...

Im sorry about the cyst and the delay with your cycle but I agree with Ro- the South Beach Diet is pretty good for low carb. Im excited to hear how it goes for you, i've considered it before but lack the willpower to do it :)

osuraj said...

I'm on this low-carb plan myself. I'm a vegetarian so mine is a bit modified. I eat lots of high protein foods like eggs, cottage cheese, soy based foods (like Morningstar), almonds, etc.

I haven't eliminated carbs, but I try to eat "good carbs" like fruit, whole grain bagels or pasta (which you can also find with high protein...like Barilla Plus), yogurt, etc. And of course lots of salad and veggies.

The hardest thing for me is cutting out sweets. With your reference to apple pie and other desserts, I'm thinking you are the same way! :-)

Good luck!

ashley said...

well, first off, good luck. I wish you the best, it's going to be tough i'm sure, but you'll have to get creative with your food. There's a lot of low carb stuff out there that doesn't all taste like cardboard. Oh, the things we do for babies.

Mary said...

Good for you! I actually am trying to do the same thing. I used to be really good about it but have slipped a lot over the past few months.

If you can - get a diabetic cook book. They have great recipes with low sugars.

GL!

Anonymous said...

I know its gonna be tough but it will all be worth it in the end. Back in college I did the protein diet...it was tough but it worked. I lost like 10 pounds!

After the new year I started a diet where I tried to eat healthier by cutting out fast food, soda and unhealthy sweets. Its easier than doing a strict no carbs diet. I still eat pasta and bread and cereal but not everyday. If I eat one of those I try not to eat the others that same day. When I feel like eating a cookie I'll have a fruit. It also works not having the food in the house to temp you :)