Ughh, I have to start taking Metformin again!!!! I really shouldn't complain though - I am just happy to be trying IVF again, but I can whine a little:
For those of you who do not know what Metformin is, here is my definition:
It is a drug used for Diabetes treatment (blood sugar stuff), but it is also used in women with PCOS to help with egg quality. Here is the funny part I haven't been diagnosed with either! I probably have some form of PCOS, but have never gotten the full diagnosis.
Now this sounds great- it can help me with my IVF! But the trade off is tummy troubles! Lots of tummy troubles. I think I have found the secret to solving these not so pleasant side effects: Eating Low Carb. Most women with PCOS already know that they should eat low carb in order to help regulate blood sugar. But since I never got diagnosed and I am in a healthy weight range; I continued to eat all of my lovely carbs!
My RE wanted me to try to get up to 3 - 4 pills a day but I was having trouble with taking just a pill and a half a day.
After about a month of being miserable on Metformin I confided in my Acupuncturist about my symptoms (nausea, diarrhea , and even throwing up once!) She told me to give low carb a try because the higher dosage of Metformin I was on, the better.
So I gave it a try - and it worked!! I felt fine!!!
So this time around with IVF, I am going to eat low carb, I encourage anyone else on Metformin to do the same thing!! I really helped me out a lot!
Today is the first day I am going back on Metformin, wish me luck!
6 comments:
oh, i've heard horror stories about metformin and tummy troubles! i'm so glad you found a solution!!! praying for this IVF to do the trick for you!
I'm mad at myself for qutting metformin cuz of the tummy troubles... Iw ill have to try the low carb thing too!
PS
Happy Anniversary!
I have PCOS, but I will not be taking Metformin. But I'm glad you posted about it because if My 1st IVF cycle doesn't work... I would like to ask my Dr. about maybe trying it..
Glad you found something to help with the bad symptoms:)
Fingers crossed, lots of prayers and the very best of luck to you guys this time!!!
I just love my metformin sooooooo much. I hate to hear it that others have trouble cause I think it's a great drug. I try to eat lower carbish, so I don't know if that helps me avoid s/e from the met. When I first started it I did have a few s/e, but they disappeared at about 6 weeks. I also recommend the extended release version if your dr. isn't using it on you.
You might do a little research incase the s/e come back for you. I know that there are other less commonly used insulin sensitizers that some people handle better.
I hope it helps your IVF get some better results this cycle.
I just finished my (hopefully) final round of Metformin...I had the same symptoms and it was miserable...I just kept telling myself it will be worth it when I get to hold that little life in my arms one day! Praying that this cycle works for you!
Post a Comment